Zippel Bay State Park
On the Shore of Lake of The Woods
Visit Minnesota Website
Discover the beauty of Zippel Bay State Park.
This Minnesota State Park nestles on the shore of Lake of the Woods, one of the largest lakes in the world. Almost 3,000 acres of forest are protected within its boundaries.
Zippel Bay State Park is at the tip of the Minnesota Arrowhead region and on the United States/Canada border. This is one of our least visited state parks, and also one of my favorites. I have wonderful memories of camping here with family and friends.
How to Get to Zippel Bay State Park:
Drive northwest from Baudette, MN
for 9.5 miles on Highway 172. Turn right on County Road 32. Drive about 1 mile to the park entrance.
Minnesota State Parks: How to Get There, What to Do, Where to Do It
Zippel Bay State Park Highlights:
Our love of Minnesota's state parks led to our publishing an ebook: Minnesota State Parks: From Afton to Zippel Bay
- Views of one of the world’s largest lakes, Lake of the Woods, and three miles of white sand beaches make this one of the most unique of our state parks. Lake of the Woods covers almost 1,500 square miles and has more than 14,000 islands. If you are in the area and just want to get up close to the lake, a drive into the park is a great way to do that.
- See why the beach at Zippel Bay is on our list of Top 10 Minnesota Beaches.
- The 2,906 acres of the park include land that was once owned by one of the area’s first white settlers, Wilhelm Zippel. At one time, a small fishing village was established here.
Bay State Park’s Natural Attractions:
- The three miles of white sand beach along the shore of the vast
lake give the feeling of being near an ocean.
- Bird-watchers will see many
water-loving birds like gulls, pelicans, osprey, cormorants, sandhill cranes,
and our state bird, the loon. The piping plover, one of the nation’s most
endangered birds, has been spotted here.
- Eagles nest in the tall trees near the
- Other attractions include wildlife like deer, moose, bears, otters,
wolves, and pine martens.
- Wildflowers, including the state flower, the Lady’s
Slipper, bloom here in spring and summer
Things to Do in Zippel Bay State Park: There are nine miles of hiking trails in the park. In winter, 11 miles of trails are groomed for cross-country skiing and 3 miles are groomed for snowmobiling. Snowshoeing is permitted within the park, except on groomed ski trails.
- Plan your camping meals with one of these.
Camping in Zippel Bay State Park: There are 57 drive-in campsites for tents and RVs; there are no electrical hookups in this park. A rustic group camp for tents, small trailers, and campers accommodates up to 45 people.
Picnic tables, fire rings, showers, vault toilets, and a dump station are available.
More Attractions in This Region: Visit Baudette.
The “Willie the Walleye” statue in town is a great place to take photos. Lake of the Woods Nature Tours offers customized trips for bird-watching, wildflower viewing, and Native American culture. Stop at the Lake of the Woods County Museum to learn about early area history.
Other State Parks in This Region of Minnesota: Hayes Lake State Park > Franz Jevne State Park
3684 54th Avenue Northwest
Williams, MN 56686
Minnesota State Parks Guidebooks
to all of our state parks.
Other Pages You May Like:
Waters Minnesota Vacation
National Parks and Forests
Camping Equipment Checklist
Campgrounds in Minnesota
Minnesota State Parks
The best family vacation destinations
in Minnesota include beautiful family vacation resorts, dozens of
state parks and many other top family vacations spots.
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
#adMinnesota Vacation Rentals
Book Flight and Hotel Together at Booking Buddy and Save 30%!
Minnesota Bed & Breakfast Inns
Your Best Minnesota Travel Deals are at Booking Buddy!
Minnesota State of Wonders
Minnesota Vacation Rentals - A vacation rental will give you the feel of your own cabin or chalet in Minnesota. Choose a vacation rental in a specific area or get ideas about some of the best Minnesota vacation destinations before you decide. There are fantastic rental properties and amazing locations that will be perfect for your group of any size.
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Made in Minnesota