The tiny, 3 ½-foot-by-4-foot Standard station was right downtown next to where the Graystone building is today.
According to a recent article in the Detroit Lakes Tribune: "In 1937 the tiny station was featured in “Ripley’s Believe it Or Not” publication (before it became a TV show) and was also featured in a 1949 issue of “Science and Mechanics” magazine."
The article goes on to say: "According to information gathered from the Becker County Historical Society, the smallest gas station in the world was owned by J.M. Sauer and his sons, Roy and Lee. The inside of the gas station was so tiny that it had only enough room for one person; however, it did have a much larger room downstairs. A trap door in the little gas station featured a spiral staircase that went down into a larger space where there was a bathroom and a storage area for things like bulk oil."
The miniature gas station can now be seen in the lower level of the Becker County Historical Society.
Amazon Associates Disclosure - We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.