Winter Driving Safety Tips
How Are Your Winter Driving Skills?
Visit Minnesota Website
Winter Driving Safety Tips
The first winter snowfall is the perfect time to review winter driving safety tips.
"You know you're a Minnesotan if you carry jumper cables in your car and figure it's not worth it to take them out of your trunk just for summer." ~Ed Fischer, You Know You're A Minnesotan
Those of us who have lived here for a while may believe we know the skills we need for Minnesota winter driving safety.
However when we get out on the highway, after even a light snowfall, it sometimes seems as if we need to learn to drive all over again.
Choose a vacation rental in a specific area or get ideas about some of the best Minnesota vacation destinations before you decide. Take a look at some of these fantastic properties and locations for your group of any size.Travel in style. For less than a hotel.
Minnesota Tourism Reviews: find the best Minnesota deals, compare prices,
and read what other travelers have to say about the places to go and things to do in Minnesota...or anywhere in the world you travel.
Some basic winter driving safety tips on Minnesota's roads and highways include:
- Be aware of the local winter forecast. Winter weather predictions don't always come true---thankfully--however do stay informed and plan accordingly.
- Make sure that your vehicle is well maintained and properly equipped. Check all fluid levels of your vehicle, especially the washer fluid and anti-freeze. Have your tires inspected and properly inflated.
- Equip your vehicle with a winter safety kit, a snow shovel, ice scraper, jumper cables, flares, a flashlight and some warm clothing and blankets.
- Completely clear your vehicle of snow and ice prior to driving. Clearing your vehicle of snow and ice provides an unobstructed view for the driver and prevents snow and ice from flying off vehicles at high speeds and posing a hazard to others on the road.
- Reduce your speed. None of the other winter driving safety tips are of any use if we are driving too fast for the weather conditions. Driving too fast on snowy or icy roads is the primary cause of most Minnesota winter weather related crashes.
- Leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the one ahead of you. Under the best of driving conditions you need to leave at least one car length between you and the vehicle ahead. On snow and ice, you need much more room to safely respond or bring your car to a stop.
- Call 911 if you have an emergency of any kind. Always be aware of the highway you are traveling and the most recent exit you passed. In the Twin Cities area there are "highway helper" trucks on the alert for drivers in trouble. They sometimes will get to you even before the highway patrol has a chance to respond to your breakdown or other emergency.
Driving in winter weather -- snow, ice, wet and cold -- creates a great challenge for vehicles and drivers.
In ordinary driving condition we are used to reacting to the road situations. Winter driving safety requires us to anticipate an unsafe situation and be able to avoid it.
Check driving conditions before you head out for your winter vacation.
This is what things can look like on a snowy day in our East Saint Paul neighborhood!
AAA 66-Piece Severe Weather Road Kit
Back to Minnesota Winter
One of Our Favorite Minnesota Books
FTC Disclosure: If you make a purchase via a link on this page, I may earn a small commission on the transaction - at no added
cost to you. Thank you!
Today's Best Travel Deals
Extra 75% Off Select Hotels with Expedia App Coupon
Find the Best Minnesota Travel Deals at Booking Buddy!
Great Prices on Minnesota Hotels at Hotels.Com
Vacation Rentals under $50 a night
Minnesota Bed & Breakfast Inns - Choose a romantic, cozy B & B anywhere in Minnesota you want to be.
Hotels.com: Save big NOW on all hotel bookings with Up to a $100 Cash Back Rebate with code REBATES18! Book by 12/31/18, Travel by 3/31/19.
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
Things to Do in Minnesota
Minnesota Vacation Rentals - A vacation rental will give you the feel of your own cabin or chalet in Minnesota. Choose a vacation rental in a specific area or get ideas about some of the best Minnesota vacation destinations before you decide. There are fantastic rental properties and amazing locations that will be perfect for your group of any size.
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Only in Minnesota
Minnesota Nice: Adult Coloring Book Full of Minnesota Love
Minnesota Travel Books