Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota
Our choices for the top 10 family vacations spots in Minnesota are those we recommend because they continue to be our family's favorite destinations in all four seasons of the year.
Most family vacation destinations
in Minnesota include beautiful family vacation resorts, cabins, and dozens of
state parks and many other top family vacations spots.
We raised five children and now have eleven grandchildren.
When our kids were young, and we had little extra to spend on vacations, we learned to love all that Minnesota offers that is cheap or free to do.
Now that we are older, it is so much fun to join the grand-kids at a resort or lake cabin.
We look forward to every opportunity to enjoy with them what is wonderful about a vacation in this beautiful state.
Top Minnesota Vacation Destinations
Lodging Options for Your Family Vacation
Minnesota Vacation Rentals
are the perfect lodging option for a family vacation or family reunion.
- Family Vacation Resorts in Minnesota provide the setting for an unforgettable family vacation in any season of the year.
What do you need to add to your Camping Equipment?
Save up to 60% off Hotels
Family summer vacations offer some of the very best of what makes Minnesota famous...our lakes, cabins, and resorts.
If you visit even a couple of our 10 best vacation spots, you will experience some of the unique regions of the state that offer very diverse geography and a wide variety of vacation experiences. Here are a few ideas for lodging in these top 10 family vacations destinations:
Entertainment in Minnesota: world class theater, concerts and shows. Here is a "top 10" list of favorite attractions for kids:
- Science Museum of Minnesota
- SeaLife Minnesota Aquarium
- Minnesota Zoo
- Como Park Zoo and Conservatory
- Minnesota Children's Museum
- Minnesota History Center
- The Works Museum in Bloomington
- Mill City Museum in Minneapolis
- Cascade Bay Waterpark
Travel in style. For less than a hotel. Search for vacation rentals in over 12,000 destinations
#1 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota: Minnesota Lakes
Kids' Travel Journal (Interactive Diary, Notebook)
There are lakes in all regions of Minnesota. The North Shore of Lake Superior and the Central Lakes Area in the heart of the state are among the best family vacation destinations for enjoying our famous lakes.
- Lake Superior North Shore: The greatest of the great lakes offers miles of shoreline and recreational opportunity. Stay in one of the many towns along the shore, visit north shore state parks, hunt for agates, visit lighthouses. Come back time after time.
- Brainerd Minnesota Vacations: Called "Minnesota's Playground," many of our most beautiful lakes, lake cabins, and family resorts are near Brainerd. Fishing, boating, water skiing and soaking up the sun on a beach are just the beginning of the fun found here.
- Alexandria Minnesota Vacations: Another favorite vacation destination for all of the same reasons. You may find the resorts and lakes slightly less crowded here; the fun and attractions are top notch.
- Detroit Lakes Minnesota Vacations: The town is famous for the "mile long beach" that draws visitors from all over the world. Called the "412 Lakes Area" there are plenty of places to stay and play outside of town including several beautiful resorts.
Minnesota Resorts and Lodges are located on our most beautiful lakes and are a great choice for a family vacation. Lodging, food, water sports, golf and many other activities are all in one place. Many Minnesota resorts offer spa services and special children's programs.
Top 10 Minnesota Beaches - You may be surprised at some of our picks - including Minnesota's longest beach, farthest north beach and best state park beaches.
Minnesota Vacation Rentals
With everything from sod houses to skyscrapers, from timeless steamboat towns on the Mississippi and St. Croix rivers, to Wobegonic farm country in the west, and from Minneapolis's world class art scene to a record-setting ball of twine, this state will leave even seasoned travelers impressed." ~ Tricia Cornell, The Moon Minnesota Handbook
Minnesota Must-See for Families: An A to Z List:
This book features an A to Z list of unique Minnesota activities, with space on each page for kids to write their thoughts and experiences directly in the book. In this way, the book becomes a personalized story of your family adventures and experiences.
#2 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
Incredible hotel deals to book now at Expedia.com!
The North Shore of Lake Superior
A North Shore vacation is certainly one of the best family vacation ideas anywhere. Take at least a day or two to enjoy the attractions of Duluth.
Then take the Minnesota portion of the Lake Superior Circle Tour along Hwy. 61, that runs for about 150 miles from Duluth to Grand Portage.
Along this route you will enjoy some of the most spectacular scenery anywhere. Seven state parks on the North Shore include Gooseberry Falls, Split Rock Lighthouse, and the state's highest waterfalls at Tettegouche and Grand Portage state parks.
North Shore Minnesota Tourist Attractions
Take along a copy of this Lake Superior North Shore Guide.
- Top 10 North Shore Attractions from Duluth to the Canadian border.
- Harbor towns along the shore including Two Harbors, Lutsen, and Grand Marais
- The 200 miles of the Superior Hiking Trail
- The Sawbill Trail, that leads through the Superior National Forest to the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
- Charter fishing, sailing, kayaking, and excursion boats
- Lutsen Mountains, the largest and highest downhill ski area in the Midwest. In summer you can enjoy an alpine slide, a gondola sky ride, and a championship golf course.
- Grand Portage State Park, and Grand Portage National Monument that features the Great Lakes Fur Trade Museum.
- Lake Superior Vacation rentals
#3 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
The Twin Cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis
Minneapolis and Saint Paul as well as attractions in the surrounding communities offer an exciting array of family fun activities and attractions. The Twin Cities area includes an exciting arts scene, historic architecture, terrific restaurants, intriguing museums, and big time fun for families with kids.
Fort Snelling State Park is right in the heart of the Twin Cities.
Twin Cities Entertainment: Great family entertainment in the most vibrant cities in Minnesota.
A great resource is 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Minneapolis and St. Paul: Including the Twin Cities' Greater Metro Area and Beyond
#4 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness
Plan for your camping excursion with this camping equipment checklist.
The Boundary Waters is located in Northeastern Minnesota. National Geographic called the Boundary Waters area one of 50 best "Destinations of a Lifetime". This beautiful, million acre, wilderness recreation area is one of the best family vacation destinations anywhere.
Some Tips for Planning a Family Vacation to the BWCA:
- Realize that this is a true wilderness experience. There is no electricity, phone lines or roads to the inner lakes.
- You will travel by canoe, and portage your canoe between the lakes.
- The BWCAW is best visited in spring or summer with a young family though there is access to the area year round.
- If you want to visit the area without doing the trek into the wilderness, there are several family vacation resorts in the nearby towns. The town of Ely Minnesota is the most frequent "jumping off" place for the Boundary Waters. You can enjoy the area and stay at one of the beautiful Ely Minnesota family vacation resorts there.
- Plan your trip with one of these Boundary Waters outfitters.
Voyageurs National Park offers another wilderness experience with fewer restrictions.
Exploring the Boundary Waters: A Trip Planner and Guide to the BWCAW
#5 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
St. Croix River Valley
The St. Croix River Valley is less than a half-hour drive from downtown St. Paul. This stunning river is the setting for several of the most beautiful and rugged of Minnesota's State Parks: Wild River and Interstate state parks to the north, as well as William O'Brien State Park, and Afton State Park.
Towns along the St. Croix that include Stillwater, Taylors Falls, Marine-on-St.-Croix, Hastings and Afton will give your family a glimpse into the charm and history of earlier times in Minnesota.
Family fun activities that make the St. Croix River area one of our best family vacation destinations include:
Minnesota State Parks Guidebooks
to all of our state parks.
Minnesota Vacation Rentals are a wonderful option for a family vacation or family reunion.
#6 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
The Mississippi River
The Mississippi, one of the world's longest and best known rivers, begins as a small stream in Itasca State Park in northern Minnesota. A fun family activity is to cross the headwaters on stepping stones. The river widens and deepens as it winds south through the state. Minnesota has more miles of the Mississippi River than any other state. Visit towns near Itasca that include Bemidji, Cass Lake, Walker, and Park Rapids.
There are lots of family fun activities along the Mississippi River:
Enjoy a road trip along the Mississippi River! Road Trip USA Great River Road
- Drive the Great River Road. This scenic byway begins in Itasca State Park and follows the river for 575 miles through Minnesota.
- Along the Great River Road some of the places to visit include the Forest History Center lumberjack camp near Grand Rapids, the Charles A. Lindbergh home near Little Falls, the beautiful Munsinger Gardens in St. Cloud, and the Kelley Farm historic site in Elk River.
- The Mississippi River runs through a gorge between Minneapolis and St. Paul. Riverboat cruises are available near both downtowns.
- The Mill City Museum and the Guthrie Theater in Minneapolis are both located along the river. Overlooks in both buildings offer spectacular views of the river.
- The Science Museum of Minnesota, located on a bluff above the river in downtown St. Paul, houses the Mississippi River Center.
- Continue south from the Twin Cities on the Great River Road and follow the river between Red Wing and LaCrescent. You will come to several charming river towns and see great views of the river, especially at Frontenac and Great River Bluffs state parks.
- Visit the National Eagle Center in Wabasha and the Minnesota Marine Art Museum in Winona, both located along the Mississippi riverfront.
#7 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
The Red River Valley
The Red River Valley in Northwestern Minnesota has been called "where the West begins." In the Red River Valley, Minnesota prairie meets Minnesota north woods. The Headwaters of the Mississippi are here as are some of Minnesota's largest lakes. Much of Minnesota's richest farmland in the region is nurtured by the ancient glacial Lake Agassiz silt with a fertility equaled only by the valley of the Nile.
The Red River Valley is a great Minnesota tourism destination. Some attractions include:
Explore all of Minnesota with the Explorer's Guide Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes
#8 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
The Iron Range
Minnesota's Iron Range in the northeastern part of the state is named for its rich supply of iron ore. While taconite mining is still important in the area, the Iron Range is now one of the best Minnesota vacation destinations famous for its beautiful lakes and forests as well as its history.
Here are some of our top picks:
Other State Parks in this Area Include:
Everything you want to know about Minnesota: Minnesota 101: Everything You Wanted to Know About Minnesota and Were Going to Ask Anyway
#9 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
Southern Minnesota Prairie Land
Southwestern Minnesota was once an expanse of prairie grass that was home to herds of buffalo and the Dakota Indians. This area is now a wonderful family vacation spot where you can revisit the time of the Dakota and the early pioneers at museums and historic sites.
Minnesota family fun attractions in this area include:
Minnesota State Parks in Southwestern Minnesota Include:
Our favorite travel guide to all of Minnesota's "must see" attractions is this Minnesota Guide to Minnesota Vacations
#10 of Top 10 Family Vacations in Minnesota:
Southern Minnesota Bluff Country
The Mississippi River reaches its widest spot at at Lake Pepin. A bit west of the Mississippi is the corner of Minnesota called Bluff Country. Among the wooded bluffs are many charming river towns including Winona, Wabasha, Lake City and Red Wing.
Top 10 Family Vacations Destinations in Bluff Country:
Made in Minnesota
Top 10 Family Vacations picks...in all areas of Minnesota and featuring the best family vacation spots that we have discovered.
Here are even more ideas for Top Family Vacations
Summer activities for kids are tips and ideas for ways to keep the kids busy when school is out and they are bored. There is so much to do in Minnesota that you may be able to keep them away from the video games for most of the summer.
We post frequent top 10 family vacations ideas and updates on Facebook:
Become A Fan of Minnesota on Facebook!
Minnesota Vacations at TripAdvisor
Be sure to see what others might miss: Backroads & Byways of Minnesota: Drives, Day Trips & Weekend Excursions
Top 10 Family Vacations Related Pages:
Best Family Vacation Destinations
Family Resorts in Minnesota
Cheap Family Vacations
Discount Family Vacations
Minnesota Family Fun
Go To Top Family Vacations
Back to Minnesota Family Vacations
Top 10 Vacation Destinations
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Made in Minnesota
Minnesota Visitor Site Map
Minnesota Visitor Home Page
For personalized travel information call 888-VISITMN (847-4866)
Minnesota Department of Natural resources 888-646-6367
Minnesota Historical Society 888-777-8386
Judith Ramsey - Publisher
Copyright © 2005 ~ 2019
All Rights Reserved
Amazon Associates Disclosure
- We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Photos are provided by our affiliations with Amazon, Trip Advisor, Unsplash, Expedia, and by our content providers.
#adMinnesota State Parks: From Afton to Zippel Bay
Advertise On Visit Minnesota