Visit Minnesota Website
What is a Staycation? It's a Minnesota "stay at home" vacation that offers all the fun and relaxation of any vacation trip. You can enjoy all the fun and activity that others travel here to see and do. Become a tourist in your own home town and state.
The best family vacation destinations
in Minnesota include beautiful family vacation resorts, dozens of
state parks and many other top family vacations spots.
Minnesota Travel Guide
The Great American Staycation: How to Make a Vacation at Home Fun for the Whole Family (and Your Wallet!)
A camping vacation has always been a frugal way to enjoy Minnesota's outdoor splendors and can be one of the best staycation ideas. If you own an RV, the cost of gas may have you parking it instead of enjoying it however your RV can actually be one of your best staycation assets. There are state parks and campgrounds within just a few miles no matter where you are in Minnesota. Stock up on your favorite foods, bring the toys and the kids, drive a few miles, and stay the whole week in one place! You have your "rolling cabin"..so no hotel expense, you will do your own cooking, so no expensive restaurant meals, and the great outdoors is free.
For details about each state park, suggest our own Minnesota State Parks Ebook.
Need ideas for activities on your staycation? Check out these summer activities for kids.
Backyard vacations are another form of a staycation. You don't have to go camping to experience a great Minnesota staycation. Search for things to do close to where you are in Minnesota and find Minnesota hotel deals close to home. You will still save lots of cash over what it would cost to travel out of state or out of the country.
Choose a hotel, motel or bed and breakfast inn close to the attractions you want to visit. Get a room with a kitchenette and save by making at least some of your own meals.
If a hotel, or even a campground, is more than your budget allows, you have the cheapest option of all...stay in your own home! Just make sure you are in vacation mode and don't get sucked back into the daily routine.
Plan some day trips to see Minnesota attractions you may not even know about. One of our favorite staycation ideas is to explore unusual Minnesota roadside attractions.
Now that you have the lodging part in place, get out and have all the fun you would pay big bucks to do if you have traveled across the country on vacation. Be a tourist right here in Minnesota.
- Grab your family, and your camera, and get out into the great outdoors. Hike in a local park, a state park, around a local lake or scenic river walk. Explore Minnesota hiking and biking trails.
- Get on, or in, the water. With more than 10,000 lakes, you know we have beaches! If the weather doesn't allow a beach outing, check out one of our fabulous water parks.
More Staycation Ideas
- Check out local farmers markets and enjoy some Minnesota home grown food.
- Pick apples and other fruit at local orchards and farms.
- Spend a day really getting to know your local library. Take some books and movies home to enjoy for days to come.
- Take some classes through community education or your community's Parks and Recreation program.
- Investigate summer programs at the the local YMCA/YWCA, Boys and Girls Clubs, local churches, etc.
- Visit museums and art galleries. We drive by them every day...go inside! Many are free or very cheap.
- Visit the zoo. Como Zoo in St. Paul is still free! Add a visit to the conservatory on the zoo grounds for a tiny donation.
- Get family and friends together for a day at a park. Plan games, contests and, of course, a picnic lunch.
- Spend a day at ValleyFair amusement park.
- Swim at a local beach or pool or enjoy a Minnesota Water Park.
- Plant a garden that you can nurture it all summer. Plant wildflowers, a vegetable garden, a kitchen herb garden ... whatever you and your family would enjoy.
- Do some art and craft projects. Finish your scrapbooking project or start something new with the family.
- Try new recipes...cook batches of food that you can freeze for winter.
- Sponsor, or participate in, a block party. Take time to really get to know your neighbors.
- Attend sports events. If you can't afford the big ticket pro games, go to high school games, Little League games, etc.
- Stay up late at night once in a while to stargaze.
Minnesota Vacation Spots
Top 10 Family Vacations
Minnesota Vacation Spots
Cheap Family Vacations
Advertise With Us
Back to Cheap Vacation Ideas
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
#adMinnesota Vacation Rentals
Book Flight and Hotel Together at Booking Buddy and Save 30%!
Minnesota Bed & Breakfast Inns
Your Best Minnesota Travel Deals are at Booking Buddy!
Minnesota State of Wonders
Minnesota Vacation Rentals - A vacation rental will give you the feel of your own cabin or chalet in Minnesota. Choose a vacation rental in a specific area or get ideas about some of the best Minnesota vacation destinations before you decide. There are fantastic rental properties and amazing locations that will be perfect for your group of any size.
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Made in Minnesota