Minnesota Hot Dish Recipes
Minnesota Tater Tot Hot Dish of Course!
Visit Minnesota Website
The best family vacation destinations
in Minnesota include beautiful family vacation resorts, dozens of
state parks and many other top family vacations spots.
Minnesota hot dish recipes, including the Tater Tot hot dish, are among the most famous of Minnesota recipes. The Minnesota hot dish is the subject of many jokes and even the title of a book. "Hot dish," is one of those famous words and phrases that let the world know we speak Minnesotan.
These Minnesota recipes, in most other parts of the country, are called casseroles.You can expect several versions of this staple to appear at family gatherings and church basement suppers in enclaves of Minnesota culture that are rooted in Scandinavian traditions.
Enjoy tastes of Minnesota that you prepare and be sure to sample hot dish and other Minnesota favorite dishes as you travel around the state.
"You know you're a Minnesotan if you say a casserole is just a hot dish with an attitude." ~ Ed Fischer, You Know You're A Minnesotan
Minnesota Tater-Tot Hot Dish Recipe
The Minnesota hot dish recipe that we usually think of first is the Tater-Tot hot dish.
This Minnesota themed recipe book is our current favorite: Hot Dish Heaven: Classic Casseroles from Midwest Kitchens
This classic hot dish recipe almost always contains a can or two of Campbell's soup. We usually choose Cream of Mushroom...though some of us take a risk with other versions!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 10 3/4 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 16 oz. package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 16 oz. package frozen tater tots
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar jack cheese
- Brown the ground beef with the onion; drain off any fat.
- Stir in the soups, milk, and the vegetables.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13" baking dish. Arrange the tater tots on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 30 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly and the tater tots are brown and crisp.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the tater tots, return the dish to the oven, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Cresent Roll Topped Hot Dish
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 small can mushrooms
- 1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. tube crescent rolls
- Oregano & Basil to taste
Tater Tot Casserole Cookbooks
- Brown hamburger and onion. Drain. Mix with tomato sauce and mushrooms. Spread in 9 x 13 pan or casserole dish. Spread cheeses over meat mix.
- Lay out crescent rolls and spread with sour cream. Sprinkle with Oregano and Basil. Roll and place on top of cheese.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until crescent rolls are brown and done. Serves 8
If you just can't get enough of these crunchy potato nuggets here are dozens of ways to fix them.
Classic Minnesota Hot Dish Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 10 oz. package frozen corn or 1 can of canned corn
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup mixed with one can of milk or a 12 oz. jar beef gravy
- 1 16 ounce package frozen tater tots
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet; drain off grease.
- Add the corn and soup or gravy and mix well.
- Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Arrange the tater tots on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the tater tots are crisp and lightly browned.
Minnesota Hot Dish Recipes
have been compiled into several wonderful recipe books, including The Great Minnesota Hot Dish.
These are perfect for "gifting" or for your own enjoyment.
Minnesota Hot Dish Recipes with Wild Rice
This hot dish recipe is a wonderful tribute to both our Scandinavian and Native American heritages.
- 1 lb Lean ground beef
- 1 c Minnesota grown wild rice, uncooked
- 1/2 lb Fresh mushrooms,sliced
- 1/2 c Green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 c Celery, chopped
- 3 tb Low sodium soy sauce
- 2 ts Low solt beef bouilon
- 1 1/2 c Water
- Rinse and soak wild rice in hot water for up to 3 hours. Drain.
- In a 4 quart saucepan, cover rice with water, Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- Brown ground beef in a nonstick skillet. Drain any fat or juices. Combine cooked ground beef with remaining ingredients in a large casserole dish. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake 15 additional minutes.
All Natural Minnesota Cultivated Wild Rice
is always our first choice for wild rice recipes.
Chicken and Potato Casserole
Here is a Minnesota Hot Dish recipe that seems to have it all: dried potatoes, chicken, cream of mushroom soup and peas! If you want to be daring, add the pimento. What could be more Minnesotan?
- 1 package Dehydrated Scalloped Idaho Potatoes**
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup diced, cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1/4 cup chopped pimento (optional)
**You can substitute your own sliced potatoes in this recipe. If you often have lots of potatoes to peel we suggest you get an Electric Potato Peeler
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- 2.Prepare potatoes according to package directions.
- Stir in soup.
- Gently mix in chicken, peas and pimentos. Bake in 2-quart casserole uncovered for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Garrison Keillor, of A Prairie Home Companion fame opines that "meatloaf is sort of a hot dish."
More Minnesota Recipes:
Chocolate Christmas Recipes
Gifts in A Jar Recipes
Minnesota State Recipes
Indian Fry Bread Recipes
Minnesota Lutefisk Recipes
Minnesota Wild Game Recipes
Minnesota Wild Rice Recipes
Maple Syrup Recipes
Back to Minnesota Recipes
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
#adMinnesota Vacation Rentals
Book Flight and Hotel Together at Booking Buddy and Save 30%!
Minnesota Bed & Breakfast Inns
Your Best Minnesota Travel Deals are at Booking Buddy!
Minnesota State of Wonders
Minnesota Vacation Rentals - A vacation rental will give you the feel of your own cabin or chalet in Minnesota. Choose a vacation rental in a specific area or get ideas about some of the best Minnesota vacation destinations before you decide. There are fantastic rental properties and amazing locations that will be perfect for your group of any size.
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Made in Minnesota