Lake Superior North Shore
Grand Marais to Grand
Explore the Lake Superior North Shore from Grand Marais to Grand Portage. Many travelers turn back to Duluth at this point and miss some of the best of the shore. You will not encounter any other towns of significance along the this
stretch of the North Shore. You will, however, find many attractions and
Some refer to this area as the "Wild Coast." As you drive this stretch of highway, the scenery just keeps getting better.
Don't spend all your time in the car. Some great hiking trails in this area include. Just a mile from Grand Marais is the Pincushion Trail that is a loop of the Superior Hiking Trail. Hike through the pines on the George Washington Memorial Pines Trail.
Take the steep half-mile climb to the Northern Light Lake Overlook on Blueberry Hill. Other hikes include the Moose Viewing Trail (moose are not promised), Lima Mountain Trail, and the Honeymoon Bluff Trail.
The names alone draw you out to explore!
Lake Superior's Historic North Shore: A Guided Tour
Lake Superior Vacation Rentals - Choose one that is just right for you or your group.
KAYAK Road Trip Inspiration: Want to hit the road? We dug into our data to find the top spots near you
Headline: Feel Fabulous This Fall
Two great side trips begin in Grand Marais. One trip is to drive the famous Gunflint Trail and the other is to take a drive through the Superior National Forest all the way to Ely. In both areas you can spend your days exploring the wilderness and your nights at a cozy lodge or resort.
Nine miles out of Grand Marais is the tiny former townsite of Colvill. In this area you may hear the barking and howling of sled dogs owned by dog mushers. These dogs are raised for competitive racing and some of the mushers also offer dog-sled tours.
A bit further on, near the County Road 14 intersection, you will see a sign that says Moose Area. This immediate area is one of the best places in Minnesota to spot a moose.
At Milepost 122, you will also notice a sign for Paradise Beach. Though natural beauty is everywhere in this wild area, Paradise Beach is a stand-out. Pull off for a few photos.
Take along a copy of Hiking Minnesota II (State Hiking Guides Series)
Lake Superior North Shore
Grand Marais - Grand Portage Attractions
Along this scenic part of Highway 61, you can also explore:
- Judge C R Magney State Park: You will find the famous, and mysterious, Devil's Kettle Falls on the Brule River as well as nine miles of some of the most beautiful hiking trails on the North Shore.
- Naniboujou Lodge: Built in 1928 as an exclusive club this lodge is both a work of art and a wonderful place to stay or stop for a meal. The Great Hall dining room is a colorful feast for the eyes with its Cree Indian designs and massive stone fireplace. The Naniboujou Club was originally a "hang out" for elite members including Babe Ruth, Jack Dempsey, and Ring Lardner. The rumor is that Clark Gable once stayed here. It is on the National Register of Historic places. Don't miss it!
- Grand Portage: This small village on the Grand Portage Ojibwe Reservation has much to offer to visitors. At Grand Portage National Monument you can revisit the fur trade era. The second week of August offers the Grand Portage Rendevous Days and Pow-Wow. January features Winter Frolic and and the Grand Portage Passage Sled Dog Race.
- Grand Portage State Park: Right near the Canadian border is one of Minnesota's smallest, yet most beautiful, state parks. The state's highest waterfall, High Falls...also known as Pigeon Falls...drops from 120 feet above the Pigeon River. A half mile of paved trail and boardwalk makes for an easy trek to one of the most awe-inspiring views along the North Shore.
Top 10 North Shore Attractions: - Plan in time for lots of stops along this highway.
The Lake Superior Circle Tour
will take you on a journey into Canada and through three states if you desire to continue your journey. You will need your passport to travel into Canada.
Most family vacation destinations
in Minnesota include beautiful family vacation resorts, dozens of
state parks and many other top family vacations spots.
Lake Superior North Shore
Lake Superior North Shore: Two Harbors to Grand Marais
Vacation Rentals Worldwide
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Made in Minnesota
Minnesota Visitor Site Map
Minnesota Visitor Home Page
For personalized travel information call 888-VISITMN (847-4866)
Minnesota Department of Natural resources 888-646-6367
Minnesota Historical Society 888-777-8386
Judith Ramsey - Publisher
Copyright © 2005 ~ 2019
All Rights Reserved
Amazon Associates Disclosure
- We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Photos are provided by our affiliations with Amazon, Trip Advisor, Unsplash, Expedia, and by our content providers.
#adMinnesota State Parks: From Afton to Zippel Bay
Advertise On Visit Minnesota