Lake Superior Agates
Visit Minnesota Website
If you're interested in treasure hunting, consider hunting for Lake Superior agates. In 1969 these Lake Superior rocks were designated by the Minnesota Legislature as the official state gemstone.
Our favorite Lake Superior North Shore vacations always include some time to relax on the beach and hunt for agates.
We choose a spot pretty much anywhere on the shoreline between Duluth and Grand Marais. We reserve a room in one of our favorite hotels in Duluth, and spend part of each day along the shore.
Lake Superior Vacation Rentals are a wonderful option. You can have the whole house!
Agates found in Minnesota have a different color scheme than agates found in other parts of the world.
Their rich red, orange, and yellow coloring is caused by the oxidation of iron.
The concentration of iron and the amount of oxidation determines the color within, or between, an agate's bands.
Agates are found in a variety of sizes from about the size of a pea to about the size of a bowling ball. Very large agates are extremely rare.
Top 10 North Shore Attractions: Not to be missed!
Small agates are often polished to make Agate jewelry.
Larger agates, called "lakers," are sometimes cut into thin slices that display the colored bands inside.
A Rock Tumbler Kit
is what transforms these somewhat non-descript rocks into beautiful agates that can be used for jewelry and many other decorative objects.
Moose Lake Agate and Geological Center: Located at the entrance to Moose Lake State Park, the 4,500 square foot building was opened in 2003 and includes a multi-purpose classroom, nature store gift shop, park offices, a resource workroom, restrooms, and an exhibition hall that showcases Minnesota's gemstone, the Lake Superior Agate. Interpretive displays focus on rocks, minerals and the geology of Minnesota.
The photo below is of just one of the many displays at the Moose Lake Agate Center.
Agate Hunting Made Easy: How to Really Find Lake Superior Agates
Where Do We Hunt for Lake Superior Agates?
When we don't stay in Duluth, we stay in a cabin on the North Shore of Lake Superior near Two Harbors.
Among the many activities that we want to do while we are there, agate hunting is high on the list.
The cabin is right on the shore of the great lake and the beach is cobbled with Lake Superior rocks. Our favorite agate hunting spot is at a small picnic area on the beach near Knife River.
When our kids were growing up they loved to just hunker down on the shore and sort through rocks looking for agates. Over time they became "experts" at recognizing the characteristics of agates. We bought a rock tumbler and spent many hours polishing up our finds after we got home.
I still have a huge plastic bucket in the basement full of small agates we found when the kids were young.
Any time we are near Lake Superior, we can't resist spending a bit of time sifting through the rocks on the shore. This is a great activity to build into your Lake Superior Circle Tour.
Types of Lake Superior Agates
- Fortification Agate: most common type, colorful banding patterns that connect with like the walls of a fort.
- Parallel-banded, onyx-fortification or water-level agate: has straight, parallel bands over all or part of the stone.
- Moss agates: these have tree-branch-shaped bits of minerals embedded in them.
- Eye agate: desirable and rare Lake Superior agate, this stone has perfectly round bands or "eyes" on its the surface.
- Waterwashed agates: rare agates with smooth natural surfaces created from tumbling in the waves on a rocky beach.
- All-Timer Agates: a collector's dream agate, these agates weigh in at 2 pounds or more and have perfect shape, color, and banding qualities.
Agates are semi-precious gemstones that can be cut, polished and used in jewelry or, in the case of larger agates, for display.
Not all agates found in Minnesota are of gemstone quality. The freezing and thawing to which they are subjected often causes fractures in the agates.
Techniques to Cut and Polish Your Agates
- Tumbling: this most common technique can be used with small agates. The stones are rotated in a rock tumbler with polishing grit to achieve a smooth and shiny surface.
- Diamond saw: used to cut medium size "laker" agates into slabs. The slabs can then be cut into artistic shapes--called cabochons--polished, and used in jewelry or artwork.
- Face polishing: involves polishing a curved surface on a part of the agate while leaving most of the agate in its natural state.
Other Place to Find Agates
The shores and beaches of Lake Superior are not the only places to find Lake Superior agates.
The Superior glacier lobe spread agates and other debris throughout northeastern and central Minnesota. Hikers, campers, hunters, and outdoor enthusiasts can readily collect them in many parts of the state...even right in the Twin Cities.
Here are some of the places where you can keep a sharp eye out for Minnesota agates:
- Along the Mississippi River and waters that empty into Lake Superior all along the North Shore.
- Along walking paths or trails in a wide swath from the North Shore to the Twin Cities.
- In the river rock that is used for landscaping around many business buildings.
- Farm fields in the spring or after a hard rain. Ask permission of course.
- Gravel pits and quarries if you can get permission to agate hunt in them.
- Virtually any place with exposed gravel and rocks offers the chance of finding Lake Superior agates...even if the location is far from the great lake.
Back to Lake Superior North Shore
Today's Best Travel Deals
Extra 75% Off Select Hotels with Expedia App Coupon
Find the Best Minnesota Travel Deals at Booking Buddy!
Great Prices on Minnesota Hotels at Hotels.Com
Vacation Rentals under $50 a night
Minnesota Bed & Breakfast Inns - Choose a romantic, cozy B & B anywhere in Minnesota you want to be.
Hotels.com: Save big NOW on all hotel bookings with Up to a $100 Cash Back Rebate with code REBATES18! Book by 12/31/18, Travel by 3/31/19.
25 Best Minnesota Family Resorts
Minnesota Gifts & Souvenirs
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
Things to Do in Minnesota
Minnesota Vacation Rentals - A vacation rental will give you the feel of your own cabin or chalet in Minnesota. Choose a vacation rental in a specific area or get ideas about some of the best Minnesota vacation destinations before you decide. There are fantastic rental properties and amazing locations that will be perfect for your group of any size.
Best Prices on Minnesota Hotels at Hotels.Com
Best Prices on Vacation Packages at BookingBuddy!
25 Best Minnesota Family Resorts
Ticket Liquidator: Minnesota Events Tickets and Venues Get deeply discounted tickets on top Minnesota sporting events, concerts, and shows. Timberwolves, Golden Gophers, Top Concerts ....More. Continuously Updated with current ticket offers.
Enjoy doing the things you love while saving with the discounts in the Entertainment Book. Many offers are two-for-one deals, 50% off and more. Get Your Entertainment Book Today!
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Only in Minnesota
Minnesota Nice: Adult Coloring Book Full of Minnesota Love
Minnesota Travel Books