The Best Travel Deals at Booking Buddy!
Minnesota Vacation Rentals
Indian Fry Bread Recipes
Traditional Ojibwe Recipes
That are Easy to Make
I grew up in Northern Minnesota and Indian fry bread was a staple in our house. Fry bread is still one of our favorite traditional Ojibwe recipes. You may be able to enjoy fry bread at some Native American festivals and ethnic restaurants. You can also make your own fry bread.
Mom's Indian Fry Bread
Here is the Indian Fry Bread recipe that my mother made when I was young---and still makes when we request it.
- 2 c. sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. warm water or milk
Frybread: Past, Present & Future
- Sift first three ingredients together and stir in beaten egg. Add water or milk to make soft dough.
- Round up on lightly floured cloth or bread board. Knead lightly. Roll or pat out 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into strips about 2 x 3 inches and cut slit in center of each strip.
- Drop into deep, simmering, fat. Brown on both sides. Serve hot.
by Glenn Miller. Here’s the book you need. The only book ever written (that we know of) that has the history, over 200 recipes, culture, and historical timeline of Indian Fry Bread.
When I was young, we lived in Cass Lake. Fry bread, wild rice, wild game and fish, wild berries, maple syrup, and other native foods were often on our menu.
We moved quite frequently as my pastor father accepted assignments to various churches around Minnesota. The native foods I learned to love early in life remain an important part of our family food traditions.
I still love to make these traditional foods. This is one of my ways of remembering this part of my history and honoring the culture and traditions of the Ojibwe people in Minnesota.
Native American Recipes
that we love do include fry bread...and so much more.
Traditional Indian Fry Bread
This traditional fry bread recipe does not use egg or milk.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 cup warm water
Authentic Ha-pah-shu-tse Fry Bread Mix
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add warm water in small amounts and knead until soft but not sticky. Adjust the flour or water as needed.
- Cover and let stand 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pull off large egg-sized balls of dough and flatten out into fairly thin rounds.
- Fry rounds in hot oil until bubbles appear on the dough, turn over and fry on the other side until golden brown.
Indian Fry Bread recipes are simple to make however sometimes, like when we are going camping, we love the convenience of this mix. It is also a great gift for someone you want to introduce to native foods.
One More Indian Fry Bread Recipe
- 4 cups of flour
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbs. powdered milk
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 cup shortening
- Put flour in bowl, add baking powder, salt and powdered milk. Stir together.
- Mix in warm water to form dough.
- Cover hands in flour. Knead dough by hand until soft but not sticky. Cover with a cloth and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Shape dough into balls about 2 inches across then flatten by patting and stretching the dough.
- Melt shortening about an inch deep in frying pan. When hot put dough rounds in pan. Fry one side till golden brown, then turn and fry the other.
*Top with any combination of honey, berries, powdered sugar, cinnamon, etc. to make a fry bread dessert.
*Top your fry bread with traditional taco fixings like ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese etc. to serve this as an "Indian Taco".
Original Local: Indigenous Foods, Stories, and Recipes from the Upper Midwest
Made in Minnesota Products include many foods. SPAM, Bee Free Honee (as seen on Shark Tank), Angie’s Popcorn, Sturdiwheat Baked Goods, Norsland Lefse, and Buffalo Gal Meats are just a few. Enjoy!
Indian Fry Bread Recipes and Mixes
Minnesota Restaurant Reviews:
Enjoy the best foods wherever you are in the state.
Minnesota Native Americans
Native American Quotes
The Ojibwe in Minnesota
Chocolate Christmas Recipes
Gifts in A Jar Recipes
Minnesota State Recipes
Minnesota Hot Dish Recipes
Minnesota Wild Rice
Minnesota Wild Game
Minnesota Lutefisk Recipes
Scandinavian Lefse Recipe
Maple Syrup Recipes
Minnesota Recipes Home Page
Minnesota Native Americans
Minnesota Gifts & Souvenirs
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
Minnesota Vacation Rentals - A vacation rental will give you the feel of your own cabin or chalet in Minnesota. Choose a vacation rental in a specific area or get ideas about some of the best Minnesota vacation destinations before you decide. There are fantastic rental properties and amazing locations that will be perfect for your group of any size.
Best Prices on Minnesota Hotels at Hotels.Com
Best Prices on Vacation Packages at BookingBuddy!
25 Best Minnesota Family Resorts
Ticket Liquidator: Minnesota Events Tickets and Venues
Get deeply discounted tickets on top Minnesota sporting events, concerts, and shows. Timberwolves, Golden Gophers, Top Concerts ....More. Continuously Updated
with current ticket offers.
Enjoy doing the things you love while saving with the discounts in the Entertainment Book. Many offers are two-for-one deals, 50% off and more. Get Your Entertainment Book Today!
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Only in Minnesota
Minnesota Nice: Adult Coloring Book Full of Minnesota Love
Minnesota Travel Books