Boundary Waters Minnesota
Visit Minnesota Website
Explore the Boundary Waters Minnesota wilderness canoe area.
The best family vacation destinations
in Minnesota include beautiful family vacation resorts, dozens of
state parks and many other top family vacations spots.
A boundary waters map and a canoe outfitters Boundary Waters guide service will help you have the Minnesota adventure of a lifetime.
The highlight of your visit to Minnesota could be your trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness for camping, canoeing and "up close with nature" experiences.
Outdoor adventures just don't get any better than this.
Exploring the Boundary Waters: A Trip Planner and Guide to the BWCAW
Visitors come to canoe, portage and camp in the freedom and spirit of the French Voyageurs of 200 years ago.
Private Minnesota Vacation Rentals in every region of Minnesota
The Boundary Waters area includes more than a million acres featuring over 1200 canoe routes through over 1,000 portage-linked lakes and rivers and includes 16 hiking trails and at least 2,000 designated camping sites.
If this is your first trip to the Boundary Waters, consider using one of the many Boundary Waters guide services.
Entry points to the BWCAW are most commonly reached out of Ely Minnesota or through Grand Marais Minnesota.
Boundary Waters Minnesota Guidelines
Some things you need to know to plan a trip to Minnesota's Boundary Waters:
- Read one of several Boundary Waters Guidebooks
- Be prepared with proper equipment including a 4-Season Tent
- Purchase a detailed Boundary Waters map.
- Book your trip as early as possible. There is a BWCA quota camping permit system. Only a designated number of permits are given out for each of the 84 entry points.
- Designated campsites consist of a fire ring and a pit toilet. They are available on a first come first serve basis.
- Portaging: You will carry your canoe and gear across the land to get it to another river or lake. Portages vary in difficulty. Some are long but fairly easy. Others can be short yet treacherous. Most are moderately easy to accomplish.
- The closest airport to the BWCA is in Duluth, MN.
You can find many BWCA outfitters and guide services. Most of them are based in, or around, Ely, Minnesota.
The Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness extends for nearly 150 miles along the International Boundary with Canada's Quetico Provincial Park and is bordered on the west by Voyageurs National Park.
The Wilderness Ethic: Leave No Trace
Minimize your impact when visiting the Boundry Waters. Minnesota and federal agencies have adopted these core pinciples for BWCA visitors:
- Plan Ahead and Prepare
- Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
- Dispose of Waste Properly
- Leave What You Find
- Minimize Campfire Impacts
- Respect Wildlife
- Be Considerate of Other Visitors
If a picture is worth a thousand words, this beautiful Boundary Waters Minnesota video must be worth at least ten thousand!
Crane Lake - BWCA and Voyageurs Area Vacation Rentals
- You get the whole house!
Canoe Outfitters Boundary Waters
Boundary Waters Outfitting
Boundary Waters Map
Voyageurs National Park
Ely Minnesota Vacations
Grand Marais Minnesota Vacations
Camping Equipment Checklist
Easy Camping Recipes
Food to Take Camping
Help Keep Minnesota Green
Back to Boundary Waters Minnesota Vacation
Plan Your Minnesota Vacation
#adMinnesota Vacation Rentals
Book Flight and Hotel Together at Booking Buddy and Save 30%!
Minnesota State of Wonders
Lake Superior Maps
Boundary Waters Maps
Made in Minnesota