Minnesota Jokes and Stories
We Love to Laugh at Ourselves!
Search the Visit Minnesota Website
We Minnesotans have a great ability to recognize our unique ways and to laugh at ourselves.
Minnesota jokes and stories are passed from family to family and down through the generations.
The Scandinavians among us have given rise to the "Ole and Lena" jokes.
Minnesota Vikings jokes help us ease the pain of the many "so close, yet so far away" results of the football season.
We really know that the joke is on us as we make fun of our accent, our weather, our habits and more.
Several well known Minnesota entertainers have made sharing Minnesota "distinctiveness" their life's work. Garrison Keillor, of A Prairie Home Companion fame, makes his living by recognizing the humor in Minnesota's Norwegian Bachelor Farmers, Lutheran Pastors, Scandinavian cooking and those of us who haunt the local café to eat rhubarb pie.
“Two- to four-finger waves are commonly used between fast-moving vehicles, but the nicely executed single-finger wave is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. To me, it perfectly sums up the Minnesota character that I love so much. The finger wave from the steering wheel: when you get it right, you'll know you've arrived and you don't ever have to leave again if you don't want to.”
~ Howard Mohr, How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide
Signs You Are From Minnesota
- You own only 3 spices...salt, pepper, and ketchup.
- You have more miles on your snowblower than on your car.
- You design your halloween costumes to fit over snowmobile suits.
- You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
- You know the 4 seasons... winter, still winter, not winter, and almost winter.You owe more money on your snowmobile than your car.
- You thought the movie Grumpy Old Men was a documentary.
- You think everyone from a different state has an accent.
- Your husband thinks sexy lingerie is a flannel nightgown with only 8 buttons.
- You have 10 favorite recipes for venison
- You think wild rice is exotic and white rice is a hot dish.
- Somewhere in the state is a piece of frozen metal with bits of your tongue stuck to it.
There are thousands more Minnesota jokes and stories about our state and its residents. Many of them are about winter.
Weird Minnesota: Your Travel Guide to Minnesota's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
A Few More of Our Favorite Minnesota Jokes
My husband and I purchased an old home in Northern Minnesota from two elderly sisters. Winter was fast approaching and I was concerned about the house's lack of insulation. "If they could live here all those years, so can we!" my husband confidently declared. One November night the temperature plunged to below zero, and we woke up to find interior walls covered with frost. My husband called the sisters to ask how they had kept the house warm. After a rather brief conversation, he hung up. "For the past 30 years," he muttered, "they've gone to Florida for the winter."
Winters are fierce in Minnesota where he lives, so the owner of a construction project felt he was doing a good deed when he bought earmuffs for his foreman. Noticing, however, that the foreman wasn't wearing the earmuffs even on the bitterest day, the project manager asked, "Didn't you like the muffs?" The Foreman said, "They're a thing of beauty." "Why don't you wear them?" The Project Manager said. The Foreman explained, "I was wearing them the first day, and somebody offered to buy me lunch, but I didn't hear him! Never again, never again!" More Minnesota Jokes About Winter
Enjoy The Best of Minnesota Entertainment
Ticket Liquidator: Minnesota Events Tickets and Venues
Get deeply discounted tickets on top Minnesota sporting events, concerts, and shows. Timberwolves, Golden Gophers, Top Concerts ....More. Continuously Updated
with current ticket offers.
The Harlem Globetrotters: Internationally Famous Team on 2017 World Tour
- Target Center (Minneapolis, MN) Check Availabilty
Water Park of America: Family 4-Pack, All-Day or Half-Day Pass, Plus Game Card
- Water Park of America (Bloomington, MN)
Kayak and Paddleboard Rental on Lake Minnetonka
- 2-Hour Kayak or Paddleboard Rental on Lake Minnetonka - Tommy's Tonka Trolley & Kayak Rentals (Excelsior, MN) Check Availability
"Miranda": A Psychological Thriller Set in the Middle East
- Illusion Theater (Minneapolis, MN) Check Availability
"Flower Drum Song": A Romantic Rodgers & Hammerstein Musical
- Park Square Theatre (St. Paul, MN)
"Black Light": Jomama Jones' Cabaret Spectacular
- Penumbra Theatre (St. Paul, MN) Check Availability
"The Drawer Boy": Award-Winning Drama on the Power of Storytelling
- Lyric Arts Main Street Stage (Anoka, MN) Check Availability
"Oh Freedom! The Story of the Underground Railroad": Stories & Songs
- Howard Conn Fine Arts Center (Minneapolis, MN) Check Availability
Acclaimed Accordo String Ensemble
- Various Minneapolis & St. Paul Venues - The Schubert Club (Minneapolis, MN) - January 24: Join Accordo for an evening of silent film with live music. This special concert will feature original music by Stephen Prutsman accompanied by the screening of various silent movies, including some Charlie Chaplin short films. Check Availability
Hill House Chamber Concerts
- The Hill House Chamber Players, made up of talented musicians from Minnesota Orchestra and the faculty of the University of Minnesota, present their latest series of concerts in the restored art gallery of the historic James J. Hill House. The performances, co-sponsored by The Schubert Club and Minnesota Historical Society, feature group members and guest artists in programs spanning the chamber music repertoire. James J. Hill House (St. Paul, MN) - Check Availability
North Star Roller Girls
- Hard-Hitting Roller Derby - Cheer on your favorite team when the North Star Roller Girls hit the track in fast-paced bouts. Powered by their impressive athleticism and spirited attitudes, these girls serve up hard-hitting, exciting roller derby. Lee and Rose Warner Coliseum at the Minnesota State Fair Grounds (Falcon Heights, MN) - Check Availability
"Schubert Club Mix": A Fun Twist on Classical Music
- Various Minneapolis & St. Paul Venues - The Schubert Club (Minneapolis, MN) Check Availability
LOCASH ("I Know Somebody"): Pop-Country Hitmakers
- Cabooze (Minneapolis, MN) - Thursday March 23, 2017 / 8:00pm | $15 Check Availability
"'Til Death: A Marriage Musical"
- Hit Comedy Returns - Art House North (Saint Paul, MN)- The show runs 90 minutes, with a 15-minute intermission and is appropriate for ages 8 and older. Check Availability
Anxiety Tonight (Pigtails Are Kosher)
- Miriam Plotkin Stars in this One-Woman Show - Sabes Theater at the JCC (Minneapolis, MN) Check Availability
The Entertainment Book > save hundreds on hotels, meals, and entertainment in Minnesota.
We've Gathered More of the
Best Minnesota Jokes Here
Minnesota Jokes by Jeff Foxworthy
Ole and Lena Jokes
You Know You're From Minnesota If......
Diary of a Snow Shoveler
Top Ten Good Things About A Minnesota Winter
Minnesota Computer Terms
Minnesota Citizenship Application
Minnesota Vikings Jokes
Even More Minnesota Jokes