Minnesota Hot Dish Recipes
Minnesota Tater Tot Hot Dish of Course!
Search the Visit Minnesota Website
Minnesota hot dish recipes, including the Tater Tot hot dish, are among the most famous of Minnesota recipes. The Minnesota hot dish is the subject of many jokes and even the title of a book. "Hot dish," is one of those famous words and phrases that let the world know we speak Minnesotan.
These Minnesota recipes, in most other parts of the country, are called casseroles.You can expect several versions of this staple to appear at family gatherings and church basement suppers in enclaves of Minnesota culture that are rooted in Scandinavian traditions.
"You know you're a Minnesotan if you say a casserole is just a hot dish with an attitude." ~ Ed Fischer, You Know You're A Minnesotan
Minnesota Hot Dish Recipes
have been compiled into several wonderful recipe books that are great for "gifting" or for your own enjoyment.
Minnesota Tater-Tot Hot Dish Recipe
The Minnesota hot dish recipe that we usually think of first is the Tater-Tot hot dish.
This classic hot dish recipe almost always contains a can or two of Campbell's soup. We usually choose Cream of Mushroom...though some of us take a risk with other versions!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 10 3/4 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 16 oz. package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 16 oz. package frozen tater tots
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar jack cheese
- Brown the ground beef with the onion; drain off any fat.
- Stir in the soups, milk, and the vegetables.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13" baking dish. Arrange the tater tots on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 30 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly and the tater tots are brown and crisp.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the tater tots, return the dish to the oven, and bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
If you just can't get enough of these crunchy potato nuggets here are dozens of ways to fix them: Tater Tot Casserole Cookbooks
Cresent Roll Topped Hot Dish
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 small can mushrooms
- 1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. tube crescent rolls
- Oregano & Basil to taste
- Brown hamburger and onion. Drain. Mix with tomato sauce and mushrooms. Spread in 9 x 13 pan or casserole dish. Spread cheeses over meat mix.
- Lay out crescent rolls and spread with sour cream. Sprinkle with Oregano and Basil. Roll and place on top of cheese.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until crescent rolls are brown and done. Serves 8
Made in Minnesota Products include many foods. SPAM, Bee Free Honee (as seen on Shark Tank), Angie’s Popcorn, Sturdiwheat Baked Goods, Norsland Lefse, and Buffalo Gal Meats are just a few. Enjoy!
Classic Minnesota Hot Dish Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 10 oz. package frozen corn or 1 can of canned corn
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup mixed with one can of milk or a 12 oz. jar beef gravy
- 1 16 ounce package frozen tater tots
- Brown the ground beef and onion in a large skillet; drain off grease.
- Add the corn and soup or gravy and mix well.
- Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish. Arrange the tater tots on top.
- Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the tater tots are crisp and lightly browned.
If you love potato recipes, visit our other website: Best Potato Recipes.com
Minnesota Hot Dish Recipes with Wild Rice
This hot dish recipe is a wonderful tribute to both our Scandinavian and Native American heritages.
- 1 lb Lean ground beef
- 1 c Minnesota wild rice, uncooked
- 1/2 lb Fresh mushrooms,sliced
- 1/2 c Green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 c Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 c Celery, chopped
- 3 tb Low sodium soy sauce
- 2 ts Low solt beef bouilon
- 1 1/2 c Water
- Rinse and soak wild rice in hot water for up to 3 hours. Drain.
- In a 4 quart saucepan, cover rice with water, Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- Brown ground beef in a nonstick skillet. Drain any fat or juices. Combine cooked ground beef with remaining ingredients in a large casserole dish. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake 15 additional minutes.
All Natural Minnesota Cultivated Wild Rice
is always our first choice for wild rice recipes.
Chicken and Potato Casserole
Here is a Minnesota Hot Dish recipe that seems to have it all: dried potatoes, chicken, cream of mushroom soup and peas! If you want to be daring, add the pimento. What could be more Minnesotan?
- 1 package Dehydrated Scalloped Idaho Potatoes**
- 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup diced, cooked chicken
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1/4 cup chopped pimento (optional)
You can substitute your own sliced potatoes in this recipe. If you often have lots of potatoes to peel we suggest you get an Electric Potato Peeler
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- 2.Prepare potatoes according to package directions.
- Stir in soup.
- Gently mix in chicken, peas and pimentos. Bake in 2-quart casserole uncovered for 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Minnesota Recipe Books
Many more casserole recipes can be found on our Best Potato Recipes Website: Potato Casserole Recipes
Share A Favorite Recipe
We are sharing the recipes that are part of our heritage and history. Every family has recipes that are familiar to them but may be new to others. Minnesota cooking has become more wonderfully diverse as has our population. We would love to reflect that tasty complexity on our Minnesota recipes pages. Share yours!
Garrison Keillor, of A Prairie Home Companion fame opines that "meatloaf is sort of a hot dish" and offers his recipe for meat loaf. Other guest writers offer their Minnesota hot dish recipes as well.
Find potato hot dish recipes and many other potato recipes on our Best Potato Recipes website.
Minnesota Restaurant Reviews:
Enjoy the best foods wherever you are in the state.
Chocolate Christmas Recipes
Gifts in A Jar Recipes
Minnesota State Recipes
Indian Fry Bread Recipes
Minnesota Lutefisk Recipes
Minnesota Wild Game Recipes
Minnesota Wild Rice Recipes
Maple Syrup Recipes
Back to Minnesota Recipes
Minnesota Vacation Rentals by VRBO - Choose a vacation rental in a specific area or get ideas about some of the best Minnesota vacation destinations before you decide. Take a look at some of these fantastic properties and locations for your group of any size.